Manager, Geert Conard Management Solutions
Geert Conard VOF : Manager/CEO
- Public Speaker, writer and consultant on Social Media & Social Networking
- Interim Manager, Project Manager, Management Consultant
IT Consult Services BVBA : Manager/CEO.
- ICT Partner for SME companies : In the region between Brussels and Limburg we are an IT servicepartner for small companies. We try to help them with every need they have in ICT. Our services include consulting, hosting, webdesign, IT Support, hardware, software, computersupplies and much more.
- United Partners Services NV : Non-executive Director. Activities : Consulting for SME companies and associations. Startup guiding and administrative help for all company administration. UP Services also includes the well known Bamed webshop for first aid kits. www.upservices.be
- DEA VZW : Non-executive Director Activities : Projects to promote and stimulate the economy, tourism and history of the region of my hometown Diest and the surrounding area which is called Hageland.
- Cherub BVBA (Sales Manager)
- Norman/SHARK BV (Sales Manager Belgium)
- Compuserv CV (Sales Manager)
- Tandy / InterTAN Inc. (Store Manager)
People know me as the guy who absolutely hated networking. In early 2004 I started out with social business networking through websites as LinkedIn and Ecademy. Exactly one year later I was one of the TOP Networkers in Belgium. An amazing transformation which changed the way I run my business, but even more it also changed my life 100%.
From July 2004 until september 2009 I was actively promoting and organizing the activities of Ecademy in Belgium. I started off in a role as co-leader together with Hendrik Deckers, who brought Ecademy to Belgium and now leads CIOnet, a niche network for CIO's and IT Managers of large companies. Later on I was appointed Country Leader myself for the period 2008-2009. This gave me the opportunity to learn all the ins and outs of a Social Networking platform. Today I'm focussing on my services as Public Speaker, Writer, Researcher and Consultant on Social Media & Social Networking. One of the new challenges I accepted at the end of 2009 is CNO for Managers 4 Managers, improving their existing networking concepts and developing, testing and implementing new networking formulas.
My blogging highlights : - Afraid to go to offline meetings ? The "stagefright" blog - My Ecademy experience : The first two months (May - July 2004) - My Ecademy experience : July - December 2004 - My Ecademy experience : 12 month roundup - The Importance of offline meetings - HSP - Highly Sensitive Persons - Superconnectors or Stamp Collectors - 5 Years that changed my life - Networking and Entrepreneurship in 2011 - Small Business Owners are the true heroes of our economy - Instream Management for your networking group - Is it hard to blog on Ecademy ? This is how I do it - Networking for Business - Professional frustration More blogs ? http://geertconard.blogspot.com
My Books During the summer of 2005, I wrote my first book on Networking. In this book I wrote down my personal experiences with online networking during my first 1,5 year as a novice networker. The style of the book is very similar to the 'experience' blogs mentioned above. Exactly 4 years later I wrote my second book 'Friends with Benefits', focussing on networking in a new and changed economy. In the summer of 2010 I wrote an ebook on demand for the businessclub M4M titled "Online Networking with M4M". This ebook is a 40 page bundle of networking tips for the use of the most popular online networks. Download available for free on my website ! In Nov. 2012 I published my 3th book packed with networking tips for small business owners. This is my first book in dutch, available from bookstores as Standaard Boekhandel and titled "Hoe SEXY ben jij als ondernemer ?"
I'm a High Yellow
Tips on how to get to know me better
- Be flexible
- Be quick paced
- Be positive
- Be open
- Be generous with your praise
- Be supportive of my ideas
- Have fun!
I used to live in Lummen, but after my divorce in 2003 I moved back to Diest, the town where I grew up as a teenager. After a few years of getting back on my feet in a small but very comfortable appartment, I bought 2 old houses in the city-center and had them renovated. (One to live in, the other for my office). It will probably take +100 years to finish them completely, but it was an opportunity I just couldn't resist. There is a certain charm in living in old buildings with high ceilings and high windows. I just needed to add some modern comfort like new electricity, a decent kitchen, bathroom, central heating etc. I dropped out of college in the early 90s and started bartending for a few months, before I was drafted to spend 12 months in the army. In my case this was a security-fieldjob in the Belgian Airforce. After this year I worked in a production plant for a couple of weeks ... then I moved on to become a sales engineer for Tandy / InterTan Inc. Some months later I promoted to Store Manager. After 2 years InterTan decided to close all stores in continental Europe. Back to zero. That was the moment when I decided to specialize in ICT Sales. I started jobhunting again focussed on this idea and became Sales Manager for Compuserv CV, a computerstore for SME customers. My main task was to manage the computershop in Diest. In 1996 I started writing (technical) articles for ICT magazines in my spare time. During the next 4 years I wrote a series of articles "Geert weet Raad" for the monthly magazine "Netwerk" and also co-hosted the TV show "Xplo" on national TV, together with a local celebrity, Geena Lisa. In the summer of 1999, after a brainstorming session with a few friends I founded the IT Consult network, a group of freelance IT professionals with the ability to cover the entire country (Belgium) for onsite support. Our initial idea was to provide onsite services for people who hated taking their PC to a computershop. (e.g. lawyers, doctors, ...) After just one month we were already contacted by external partners (e.g. Internet service providers) to do the same activities also for their customers. For exactly 10 years this group was the flexible service-force for many ICT partners such as Belgacom, Planet Internet, Tiscali and Euphony. This activity was stopped in November 2009. Since 2005 I also added extra activities to my portfolio which enabled me to grow my business into a complete and focussed ICT company (webdesign, hardware, software, toners, ...). Today IT Consult Services BVBA is a professional ICT company with direct customers in the wider region between Brussels and Limburg. With two people in sales and management, four technicians and the support of a large group of freelancers we offer a very flexible partnership to self employed entrepreneurs and small companies. In July 2007 I also started a management solutions company (Geert Conard VOF). My first project was structuring the sales division for a distribution company for security software. My first book launched in november 2005 and almost immedeately demand came for Public Speaking. These days I speak regularly on business events and even give lectures on social media in highschools and universities. This started a whole new business activity for me which is very exciting ! We also provide follow up activities (consulting and assistance) helping our customers with their first steps in Social Media.
Passions : (Because it doesn't always has to be business)
- Nessun Dorma by Paul Potts : It's amazing to see how a mobile phone salesman from South Wales discovers his true talent and passion
- Lovin' Whiskey by Anouk : The first song that ever touched me so deep that I felt shivers all over my body
- Jazz, blues, rock, Joe Cocker, Anouk, U2, Simple Minds
- London, Scotland, Luxembourg
- Wine, whisky, Gastronomy, Jamie Oliver (I'm connected to Jamie on Facebook !!!)
- Movies, magazines, newspapers
- CSI, 24, Kinderen van Dewindt, Jamie Oliver
- The Net, Chocolat, The Godfather, Casablanca, The Breakfast Club, The Associate, The Secret of My Success, Coyote Ugly, Die Hard, Wall Street
- Standup comedy & other performances
Favorite & Historical Speeches
- Al Pacino in the movie Any Given Sunday : Peace by inches
- The King to His Peoples. H.M. King George VI (03/09/1939) from Buckingham Palace, London, UK
- J.F. Kennedy (28/06/1963) in West Berlin : Ich bin ein Berliner
- Martin Luther King (28/08/1963) at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom : I have a dream
- Severn Cullis-Suzuki (1992), at the United Nations Conference in Rio de Janeiro : I am only a child
- Seth Godin (Feb 2003) on TED : Standing Out
- Steve Jobs (12/06/2005) at Stanford University : Commencement speech Stay hungry, stay foolish
- Professor Randy Pausch (18/09/2007) at Carnegie Melon University : Really achieving your childhood dreams (Lecture of a dying man, he died on July 25, 2008)
- (12 minute short edition on Oprah)
- National Geographic Explorer Wade Davis on T.E.D. (Feb 2008) : The worldwide web of belief and ritual
- J.K. Rowling (05/06/2008) at Harvard University : Commencement speech The Fringe Benefits of Failure, and the Importance of Imagination - (Part2)
- Barack Obama (24/07/2008) at Tiergarten, Berlin : This is our moment, this is our time !
- Barack Obama (28/08/2008) at Democratic National Convention in Denver : I accept your nomination !
- Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV (17/09/2008) at Web 2 Expo New York : Building Personal Brand Within the Social Media Landscape
- Barack Obama (04/11/2008) at Grant Park Chicago, IL : Victory Speech on election day
- Barack Obama (20/01/2009) at US Capitol, Washington : Inauguration speech
- More speeches ? The longer and up to date list can be found here : http://www.geertconard.com/speeches.html
Steve Jobs - Stay hungry, stay foolish (2005)
Reading list : After 10 years of reading nothing but magazines, I saw Thomas Power doing his famous "10 Tips" ... A week later my Internet connection went down and I decided to buy a book and start reading again. These are not all of them ... but this is a list of some of the best books I absorbed since ...
- De Body Farm, Dr. William Bass & Jon Jefferson (Original : "Death's Acre")
- The Art of Deception, Kevin D. Mitnick & William L. Simon (Available in dutch "De kunst van het misleiden")
- De Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown (Original : "The Da Vinci Code")
- Het Bernini Mysterie, Dan Brown (Original : "Angels & Demons")
- Professional networking for dummies, Donna Fisher (Available in dutch "Persoonlijk netwerken voor dummies")
- De geheimen van de Da Vinci Code, Simon Cox (Original : "Cracking the Da Vinci code")
- Digital Fortress, Dan Brown (Available in dutch "Het Juvenalis Dillema")
- The invisible path to success (Robert Scheinfeld)
- De Elite van België ... Welkom in de club (Jan Puype)
- Building a Business on Bacon and Eggs, Stephen Harvard Davis, Andy Lopata and Terence P. O'Halloran
- Het Heilige Bloed - De Heilige Graal, Baigent, Leigh & Lincoln (Original : The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail)
- Let's Connect, Jan Vermeiren
- Het geheime boek der Grootmeesters, Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince (Original : The Templar Revelation)
- A Friend in Every City, Thomas Power, Penny Power, Andy Coote
- Straight to the top, becoming a World-Class CIO, Gregory S. Smith
- Van Sesamstraat naar de Wetstraat, Evert Van Wijk
- The Godfather, Mario Puzzo
- LA Confidential, James Ellroy
- The Four Hour Work Week, Tim Ferris
- The Art of Intrusion, Kevin Mitnick
- The "Essentials" (4 books), Tom Peters
- De weg naar Mekka (Jan Leyers)
- Geloven in Verandering, Barack Obama (original : Change We Can Believe In)
- Marketing Secrets for Small Business Owners, Jonathan Jay
- Golf for Dummies, Gary McCord
- Know Me, Like Me, Follow Me, Penny Power
- The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown
- The Accidental Billionaires, Ben Mezrich
- Socialnomics, Erik Qualman
- The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs: How to Be Insanely Great in Front of Any Audience, Carmine Gallo
Countries I have visited ... in most cases I attended networking events or was booked as a speaker on one of these events.